For the latest SARS tutorial video and webinar on specific tax and trade topics, see our SARS TV Channel.
If you have missed any of our live-streamed webinars, a complete list of all the recordings are also available on our SARS TV Channel.
What do we do?
Our aim is to provide taxpayers with information that would empower them to have a basic understanding of the various tax types, how these taxes work and what is expected of taxpayers in order to be tax compliant at all times.
We offer free tax education workshops that are presented at most SARS branches across the country or via virtual platforms. These workshops cover a wide range of topics and are presented on a regular basis. In addition we offer the following educational and informational activities:
Mobile Tax Units
See our schedule for the Mobile Tax Units per region. The Mobile Tax Units webpage will be updated on a regular basis. To see the services Mobile Tax Units offer and the documents you need to take with you, click here.
Upcoming education sessions
See our schedule for the upcoming education sessions per region.
We have regular live webinars on relevant topics. Keep an eye on this page for the schedule:
23 February 2022 – Authorised Economic Operator webinar
SARS hosted a webinar discussion on Authorised Economic Operator Programme. The purpose of the webinar was to equip current and potential traders with knowledge on how to:
- Reduce the turnaround time spent on clearing goods at ports.
- Reduce costs that come with delays of cargo, improve daily cash flow and minimise Customs intervention.
- Acquire an accreditation status that will boost the company’s credibility and trust among peers, leading to vast opportunities in the International Trade Community.
- 17 February 2022 – Invitation to the Corporate Income Tax and Provisional Taxes compliance webinar for SMMEs
SARS hosted a virtual webinar for Small, Medium and Micro Enterprises (SMMEs), to provide information on Corporate Income Tax (CIT) and Provisional Tax requirements and submission.
The following topics were covered:
- What is Corporate Income Tax (ITR14) and how to complete the ITR14 form
- What is Provisional Tax and how to complete the Provisional Tax form (IRP6)
- Small Business Corporation (SBC) process
- Audit Process
If you missed the event, you may view it on the SARS TV Channel.
25 November 2021 – Customs requirements for travellers
SARS hosted a webinar discussion to inform and engage with travellers. As we prepared for the festive season, we anticipated an increase in travellers entering and leaving South Africa via air, sea and land ports of entry. The South African Revenue Service (SARS) conducted a webinar to provide clarity of the tax obligations pertaining to travellers as well as educate travellers on what to expect when arriving in or departing from South Africa.
South African residents and citizens, foreign nationals visiting South Africa, crew members, embassies, and tourism agencies all require access to this information which was shared at this webinar. If you have missed the live webinar, go to our SARS TV YouTube channel
18 November 2021 – SMME: Value-Added-Tax (VAT) Webinar
SARS hosted a virtual webinar for Small, Medium and Micro Enterprises (SMMEs), with information on Value- Added-Tax (VAT). When taxpayers have clarity and certainty about their tax obligations, they will be in a better position to be compliant in their tax matters. The following topics were covered:
- Registration requirements
- VAT Filing categories
If you missed the webinar, go to our SARS TV Channel on YouTube https://youtu.be/E8qvYmh3UV0.
- 5 November 2021 – RLA Release 3
SARS hosted a webinar discussion to inform and engage with valued customs clients and stakeholders regarding registration and licensing. See the presentation delivered during the webinar and the RLA navigation on eFiling.
- 21 October 2021 – Turnover Tax
The Taxpayer and Trader Education, and SMME segment hosted a webinar on Turnover Tax for SMMEs to help taxpayers to comply with their tax obligations. If you have missed the event, see the SARS TV Channel.
- 7 October 2021 – Illicit Trade and Counterfeit Procedures
SARS hosted a webinar discussion on Illicit Trade and Counterfeit Procedures. SARS as an agency of government is concerned about the rate of illicit trade activities as well as handling procedures on counterfeit commodities. Illicit trade activities have such a negative impact on the country’s economy. The national lock-down has worsened the illicit trade and counterfeiting trends, resulting in job losses in our communities and financial losses to legitimate businesses. See the presentation delivered during the webinar. If you missed the event, you may view it on the SARS TV Channel.
30 September 2021 – How to apply for a TCS on eFiling
To assist taxpayers, SARS hosted a virtual webinar for Small, Medium and Micro Enterprise (SMMEs). The webinar provided information on the navigation of eFiling and the application for the Tax Compliance Status (TCS) on eFiling. If you have missed it, see the webinar on our SARS TV Channel. For the FAQs asked during the webinar, click here.
23 September 2021 – Education on how to use our system and processes webinar
SARS hosted a webinar on Education for Process to make it easier for taxpayers to meet their tax obligations and, in this way, be tax compliance. The platform will provide an opportunity for SARS to introduce and demonstrate a number of technological tools that were recently designed to assist taxpayers to, at leisure, navigate our enhanced systems. If you have missed it, see the webinar on our SARS TV Channel or see the presentation here.
16 September 2021 – Excise Environmental Levies and Taxes Webinar
It is one of the South African government’s objectives to preserve the environment, reduce pollution and to give effect to certain international treaties on climate change and pollution. If you have missed the live webinar go to our SARS TV YouTube channel or see the presentation delivered during the webinar.
- 19 August 2021 – Customs SMME Traders and Travellers Webinar
See our webinar presentation for the SMME Traders and Travellers segment in collaboration with Taxpayer and Traders Education on Customs clearance procedures to help taxpayers to comply with their tax obligations. If you have missed the live webinar, go to our SARS TV YouTube channel or see the content presented showed during the webinar.
- 29 July 2021 – Trusts & Tax Obligations Webinar
If you have missed the live webinar, go to our SARS TV YouTube channel. See the FAQs discussed during the webinar.
- 9 July 2021 – Home Office Tax Requirements Webinar
If you have missed the live streaming, it’s now available to watch here or the presentation discussed during the webinar is available here for viewing or downloading.
Keep an eye on our SARS TV Channel for new tutorial videos. Below is a list of our easy, step-by-step videos for some of our offerings:
- Send an SMS to SARS on 47277 for any of the following:
- Request a booking with SARS,
- Ask whether you should submit a tax return,
- Ask your Tax Registration Number or request your Statement of Account.
- See our video Here’s what you can do via the new SMS services.
- What can I do on eFiling?
- How to register as a taxpayer on eFiling and receive your tax reference number
- How to submit your Personal Income Tax return on eFiling
- How to request or view your notice of registration (IT150 ) on eFiling
- How to manage your profile on eFiling
- How to view correspondence on eFiling
- What to do when your Income Tax Return ITR12 is rejected by SARS on eFiling due to a directive
- What to do when your Income Tax Return ITR12 is rejected by SARS on eFiling due to a duplicate IRP
- What can I do on the SARS MobiApp?
- How to manage my Company Income Tax on eFiling?